South End, George Washington Parkway
Mount Vernon, VA 22121
Mount Vernon, George Washington's Estate and Garden's overlooks the Potomac River in Alexandria, (Fairfax County) Virginia, south of Washington, D.C. The tomb (built 1831–37) of George and Martha Washington and the graves of other members of the family are also located on the grounds of the estate. A National Historic Landmark, Mount Vernon, is set on 40 wooded acres. The house was built by the Washington family about 1735 and was Washington's home from 1747 until his death in 1799. The l house was built in 1743 by Lawrence Washington, George Washington's half-brother. It was named for Admiral Edward Vernon, Lawrence's commander in the British navy. George Washington inherited it in 1754. The structure was enlarged several times between 1759 and 1787. The home is a wooden structure of Georgian design, two and one-half stories high, with a columned portico and subsidiary buildings surround it. The estate also contains wide lawns and fine gardens. The estate was purchased in 1860 by the Mount Vernon Ladies' Association (organized 1856), who serves as its permanent custodian. The mansion has been restored, with much of the original furniture, family relics, and duplicate pieces of the period based upon Washington's detailed notes.