Corner of 12th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.
Washington, DC. 202) 606-8691 (NPS-Tower)
When completed in 1899 , what today is known as the "Old Post Office" stood out as a prestige symbol and technical innovation for the Federal Post Office Department. At the turn of the century, it was the largest government building in Washington, D.C. and the first clock tower. An example of Richardsonian Romanesque Revival, its courtyard remains one of the largest uninterrupted interior spaces in the city (99 feet wide by 184 feet long and 160 feet high). After the U.S. Post Office moved out in 1934 the building was planned for demolition but survived due to a lack of funds caused by the Great Depression. After the Postal Service's departure, the building was occupied by various government agencies. After again being slated for demolition in the late 1960's, a successful movement to save the building resulted in it being adapted for use as both federal offices and private businesses. The building currently is occupied by the Trump International Hotel. The Old Post Office Tower operated by the National Park Service provides visitors with the history of the building, a view of the city from the observation deck 270 feet above Pennsylvania Avenue and an opportunity to walk down through the clock tower to see the Congress Bells.
Open: Summer: 8:00 a.m.-10:45 p.m. (Approx. Mid - April to Labor Day) Winter: 10:00 a.m. - 5:45 p.m. (Tower) Pavilion hours vary by vendor/restaurant.
Admission: Free Metro: Federal Triangle
Related Links: National Park Service - Old Post Office Tower Site